Summer is on its means, and your teenager is probably going wanting ahead to good weather and spending time with associates. If your teen is a new driver, he or she is undoubtedly wanting ahead to new adventures behind the wheel, as properly. While we all anticipate this ceremony of passage for our teenagers, many of us can’t help however worry, and with cause; teen driving is dangerous. Based on Teen Driver Source, the danger of getting right into a automotive accident is larger for 16 to 19-year-old drivers than it’s for some other age group, and automotive accidents are the main reason for dying and disability in teenagers. Under we talk about some steps that you must take to assist shield your teen driver this summer time.
Wait to Purchase Your Teen a Automotive
As reported by the National Highway Visitors Safety Administration, a current research found that newly licensed teens are more likely to velocity in their own automotive than they are within the family automotive. Rushing is likely one of the foremost causes of automotive accidents, principally because of the lack of car management and elevated distance required to return to a stop related to rushing. If attainable, you need to permit your teen to use your automotive and wait until they’re extra experience behind the wheel before you buy her or him a automotive. This precaution might shield your teen driver in the course of the summer time months, as well as shield other drivers on the roadway.
For quite a lot of reasons, nevertheless, sharing the family automotive with teen drivers isn’t all the time sensible. If they should have their own automotive, listed here are some recommendations on choosing a protected choice, offered by Edmunds:
- Verify the crash check score for the car that you simply’re contemplating. The highest safety picks are automobiles that fared greatest in front, aspect, rollover, and rear crash exams.
- Avoid giant automobiles—akin to pickup vans, vans, and SUVs—as they can be exhausting for inexperienced drivers to maneuver. Additionally, a lot of these automobiles have a better middle of gravity, which increases the danger of a rollover. Smaller SUVs are often a sensible choice, offered that they’re a brand new sufficient mannequin to have digital stability management.
- Whereas overly giant automobiles must be prevented, so ought to overly small ones, as they offer less protection and don’t usually fare nicely in crash exams.
- Mid-sized sedans are typically the only option for teenagers, as they’re large enough to guard the occupant in a crash, but not so huge that they’re exhausting to deal with.
- In your teen’s first automotive, avoid one with a V6 engine, because it tempts drivers with more horsepower than they often want. One thing with a four-cylinder engine will limit the acceleration talents, making it less doubtless that your teen will velocity.
- Whereas it is tempting to purchase an affordable, older mannequin automotive on your teen, specialists discourage this apply. Newer-model automobiles embrace numerous crash-avoidance and security options, reminiscent of collision warning with automated braking, lane departure warning, and blind zone detection.
- A number of the newest automobiles supply security know-how, including the power for folks to dam incoming textual content messages whereas a car is in motion.
- If a newer-model automotive isn’t financially possible, contemplate used luxury-model automobiles. Luxury automobiles typically score nicely in crash exams and often embrace an important safety features. Finally, car measurement, crash check scores, and safety features are more necessary than the age of a automotive.
- Teens ought to be reminded to not drive like they own the street, but like they own the automotive.
Security First, Earlier than They Even Depart the Driveway
Whether your teen is about to take off for a day of fun within the sun in the family car or the mid-size sedan that you simply bought for her or him, you need to make it possible for someone properly inspects the automotive before setting out on any trip, based on TeenDriving.com. These checks must be regular and routine in your teen.
- Make certain to verify the fuel gauge. Operating out of fuel on the freeway, or even in a residential space, can lead to all types of harmful conditions, from the danger of being hit by one other car on the aspect of the street to being stranded and compelled to ask for help from strangers. Make it a policy to verify the fuel gauge earlier than leaving house and to not go underneath 1 / 4 of a tank earlier than filling up once more.
- The car’s tire strain must be checked recurrently, and teenagers ought to understand how to do this on their own, together with checking the oil and making certain that the automotive has wiper fluid.
- Windshields ought to be clean earlier than the automotive leaves the driveway to keep away from momentary blindness brought on by the sun reflecting off a unclean windshield.
- The headrest must be set to rest behind your teen’s head, not neck. This will help to protect teens from whiplash should they be involved in an accident.
- Teenagers ought to never drive without buckling up first and will insist that their passengers buckle up, as properly. There should by no means be more passengers in a automotive than seat belts.
- Your teen should know where to put his or her arms on the steering wheel. Specialists not advocate putting your palms at 10 and a couple of o’clock, however now advocate either 3 and 9 o’clock or 4 and 8 o’clock. The primary purpose for this alteration is that, within the occasion of a automotive accident, an airbag deployment may cause a driver’s arms to strike his or her face at a excessive fee of velocity if positioned too high on the wheel.
Know (and Talk about) the Three Most important Causes of Teen Accidents
Teen Driver Supply stories that 75 % of all critical teen crashes are the results of important errors. The three most important errors account for about half of all of those crashes and are as follows:
- Lack of scanning. 21 % of great crashes brought on by a important teen driver error involve lack of scanning. In line with research, newly licensed teenagers wrestle with the power to anticipate when and where potential visitors and driving hazards will arise. Subsequently, they fail to average velocity or position their car in a strategy to avoid these hazards. A few of these potential hazards embrace automobiles in adjacent lanes which will abruptly pull in front of sweet sixteen drivers, pedestrians which are partially hidden from view until they seem all of the sudden in the crosswalk, another car operating a purple mild, or perhaps a pothole. What is usually mistaken as a teen’s lack of attention is usually truly simply that teenagers want additional time to master complicated expertise, akin to scanning. Presently, researchers are creating packages to assist teenagers master these expertise before licensure, and fogeys are encouraged to experience together with their newly licensed teens to ensure that they’re remembering and working towards these expertise. Remind your teen to never assume that they know what one other driver is going to do, and to by no means pull out in entrance of someone or swerve into one other lane of visitors.
- Going too quick for circumstances. Rushing causes 21 % of great crashes that involve a essential teen driving error. Rushing isn’t simply going over the posted velocity restrict, but in addition going too fast for circumstances—together with visitors, climate, visibility, and other hazards, comparable to rough street surfaces. Telling your teen to slow down is usually not enough to help her or him study to be a protected driver. You’ll be able to assist your teen discover ways to manipulate the brake and accelerator correctly during follow drives by explaining when it’s time to ease up on the fuel pedal to slow down when approaching an intersection. You can even clarify the facility of collision power. When a automotive is simply going 40 miles per hour in a 30 miles per hour zone, it translates into a 78 % improve in collision power, which means an accident at that velocity would carry almost double the drive of one at 30 miles per hour.
- Distractions. Distraction is a key think about 58 % of crashes involving teens aged 16 to 19. Driving whereas distracted makes it arduous to react to hazards on the roadway, notably for teenagers. Widespread teen distractions embrace texting, chatting with passengers within the automotive, altering the radio, eating, or even applying makeup. Teen drivers also needs to keep away from racing different teen drivers, as this is not only a distraction but in addition will increase the danger of an accident as a consequence of excessive velocity and improper passing. A current ballot revealed that 50 % of the respondents between the ages of 16 and 19 admitted to texting while driving. A method you’ll be able to assist shield your teen from the risks of distracted driving is by modeling good driving conduct, including by no means using a cellphone, either handheld or hands-free, whereas driving. Mother and father also needs to think about limiting the variety of passengers that their teen has in the car at a given time. Having two or more passengers in a car triples the danger of a fatal crash when a teen is driving.
Nighttime Isn’t the Greatest Time
Solely 14 % of the driving that 16 and 17-year-old drivers do takes place through the hours of 9 p.m. and 6 a.m., based on Teen Driver Supply. That time period accounts for 32 % of fatal crashes among teens. The lowered visibility brought on by darkness means that there is much less time to react to street indicators, upcoming curves, a automotive swerving into your lane of visitors, or different hazards. It is strongly recommended that oldsters give their teens loads of supervised night time driving apply earlier than they’re allowed to drive solo at the hours of darkness. Moreover, for the primary 6 months to a yr after obtaining their license, teen drivers ought to be restricted to only driving earlier than 9 p.m., as the time period from 9 p.m. to midnight is when nearly all of deadly crashes involving teen drivers occur. Additionally, nighttime journeys and routes ought to be deliberate prematurely, considering that the brand new driver may be drowsy whereas driving and will take a route that’s well-lit.
Drowsiness is a further danger for teen drivers. Teenagers ought to be reminded concerning the signs of drowsiness, which embrace:
- Excessive yawning
- Having hassle preserving your eyes open
- Being unable to remember the previous jiffy or seconds
- Driving over the rumble strips more than as soon as
- Experiencing head or body jerks from falling asleep
- An incapability to pay attention
- Your automotive wandering from the street or into the opposite lane
If your teen reveals any of the above-listed signs, he or she should know to do a number of of the next:
- Pull off the street right into a protected parking area. Lock the doorways and take a 20-45 minute nap.
- Make a pit cease. Use the toilet, or get one thing to drink.
- Sit up.
- If there’s a passenger in the automotive, speak to them to assist maintain yourself awake.
- Play your music loudly, and sing along.
- Roll your home windows down, or run the air conditioner full blast in your face.
While studying to drive is an thrilling time for teens, it’s also one thing that have to be taken significantly for the sake of their lives and the lives of others within the automotive and on the roadway. Supervision, limits, and patient steerage will assist your youngster develop into a protected driver, not simply once they’re teenagers, however throughout their whole lives.
Contact Us if a Car Accident Injures Your Teen
For those who have been injured in an accident that was brought on by another person’s negligence, you must inquire about your eligibility to safe compensation on your accidents. Private damage instances are sometimes complicated and extended; let an lawyer handle the authorized details of your case when you give attention to recovering out of your injuries. One in every of our experienced automotive accident attorneys will help you understand your authorized choices. To schedule your free consultation and case evaluation with an lawyer from Dolman Regulation Group Accident Damage Legal professionals, contact us on-line or call us at 833-552-7274 (833-55-CRASH). We’ve workplaces in Clearwater, St. Petersburg, Sarasota, and New Port Richey.
Dolman Regulation Group Accident Damage Legal professionals, PA
800 North Belcher Street
Clearwater, FL 33765
Florida Personal Damage Attorneys