- 1 All the things You Have to Know About Rear-end Back and Neck Injuries
- 1.1 How Does a Back or Neck Damage Occur During a Rear-End Collision?
- 1.2 Varieties of Neck and Back Injuries From Rear-end Collisions
- 1.3 Delayed Symptoms of Neck and Back Injuries
- 1.4 Neck and Back Restoration After a Rear-end Crash
- 1.5 About Rear-End Collisions
- 1.6 Avoiding Rear-end Collisions
- 1.7 Liability in Florida Rear-end Collisions
- 1.8 Contact Dolman Regulation Group After a Rear-end Collision in Florida
All the things You Have to Know About Rear-end Back and Neck Injuries
The Nationwide Freeway Visitors Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates roughly 1.7 million rear-end collisions in 2010, a number that continues to rise annually. In its most up-to-date yearly knowledge, the NHTSA reviews virtually 2.4 million rear-end collisions on the nation’s roads in 2016, including virtually 700,000 crashes leading to damage and about 2,300 fatal rear-end crashes. Rear-end collisions account for a 3rd of all visitors accidents in the USA, making them the most typical sort of automotive accident.
Being involved in a rear-end crash may end up in a wide selection of injuries. Accident victims are notably weak to back and neck injuries. Relying on the velocity and angles of the accident, a again or neck damage may end in everlasting disability and a life riddled with persistent pain. In the event you or a liked one has suffered a neck or back damage during a automotive accident in Florida, then contact a skilled automotive accident lawyer to discover ways to recuperate losses associated to your damage. Contact Dolman Regulation Group or Sibley Dolman Accident Damage Legal professionals, LLP, at 833-552-7274 (833-55-CRASH) to schedule a free consultation.
This guide provides information about again and neck injuries in rear-end collisions, tips on how to forestall these widespread crashes, liability in rear-end collisions in Florida, and speedy steps you must take after a rear-end collision.
How Does a Back or Neck Damage Occur During a Rear-End Collision?
Rear-end collisions stand aside from other varieties of automotive accidents as a result of they typically occur at low speeds. Though seat belts and airbag deployment scale back some passenger motion in a collision, especially for those within the front seat, a person’s neck and higher back still endure unnatural forces. When a rear-end crash happens, bodies within the automotive move back and forth shortly during impression. This movement coupled with a body’s interplay with the seatback is a large a part of why neck and again accidents occur.
Side joints join every vertebra in your spine, making you versatile so you’ll be able to bend and twist. Many neck accidents occur as a result of the side joints collide with one another when the neck strikes throughout an accident. The impression of a rear-end collision also causes your middle and lower again to move back and forth, which disrupts the natural curve of the spine and flattens them.
Varieties of Neck and Back Injuries From Rear-end Collisions
Rear-end collisions may end in all kinds of again and neck accidents that adjust based mostly on the velocity at which they happen. Some widespread accidents embrace:
- Whiplash is the most typical damage related to a rear-end collision. When the top and neck move upon influence, the victim sustains delicate tissue injury in the neck and typically the higher back. Whiplash injuries can range from delicate to extreme.
- Spinal fractures are probably to happen when a rear-end crash happens at a high velocity. A driver’s or occupant’s torso and head get tossed around whereas the lower half of their physique is held by the seat belt, leading to compression fractures or different breaks within the vertebrae. Stress fractures may additionally push vertebrae out of place, resulting in a situation referred to as Spondylolisthesis where nerves and/or the spinal canal are compressed inflicting pain and numbness.
- Slipped discs, extra formally known as herniated discs, happen when the influence of a rear-end collision causes the discs that provide cushioning between the vertebrae to shift misplaced. This additionally leads to pain and numbness.
- Spinal twine injuries can occur even when a rear-end crash occurs at low speeds. Small accidents to spinal processes and nerves may cause short-term paralysis that may hopefully heal with time. Typically, nevertheless, the twine will get severed, resulting in everlasting complete or partial paralysis. Understand that the higher on the physique a spinal twine damage happens, the extra possible a sufferer will experience lack of features or paralysis.
Delayed Symptoms of Neck and Back Injuries
Search medical consideration as quickly as potential after a rear-end collision. You may need instant symptoms of a again or neck damage together with ache and numbness, however it’s additionally widespread to really feel fantastic for a short while after the accident.
It’s a mistake to skip medical remedy for a couple of causes. First, medical documentation of your injuries supplies proof your lawyer can use afterward to show an accident brought on your neck and back injuries. Second, many symptoms of neck and again injuries don’t present up for days or perhaps weeks after an accident. Just since you really feel okay, doesn’t imply you weren’t injured.
Under are some signs of neck and again injuries that always don’t show up instantly after a rear-end collision:
- Neck and shoulder stiffness
- Back pain
When you expertise any of these signs after your accident, even when it’s days later, immediately go to your doctor. These symptoms indicate that you simply may need a neck or again damage, especially in case you are affected by multiple.
However (and, we will’t repeat this enough), even when you do not expertise symptoms immediately, it is best to nonetheless go to a physician after any rear-end collision. Only a professional doctor can inform you, for positive, whether or not and to what extent an accident injured your neck or back.
Neck and Back Restoration After a Rear-end Crash
Whenever you endure a neck or back damage in a rear-end collision, you will have ample time for healing and recovery. Remedies will differ based mostly on your damage and its severity, however may embrace:
- Sporting a brace. Your doctor may direct you to put on a neck brace or again brace to stabilize your body, allowing it to heal and forestall additional damage. Braces additionally help with ache administration by preventing you from shifting in a method that causes you pain.
- Heating pads and ice packs. The warmth helps get rid of ache by easing muscle rigidity. In case you expertise swelling, your physician may need you apply an ice pack to your injured space to scale back swelling.
- Ache treatment. When your ache is extreme, your physician may prescribe prescription ache killers when over-the-counter ache tablets gained’t do the trick. Habit to prescription pain drugs is a real danger, so anticipate your doctor to discuss a number of choices to keep away from creating a dependence on a specific remedy.
- Bodily therapy. Frequent physical remedy visits are often part of getting ready your physique to return to normal perform. Oftentimes, neck and again accidents trigger a loss in your range of movement. Physical remedy helps rebuild your muscle tissues in the injured space so you possibly can restore your range of motion. In the case of a severe damage that pressured you to remain in mattress for days, weeks, or months, you will want bodily remedy to assist with muscle loss in all elements of your body.
- Chiropractic care. Your main aim after an accident must be to feel better. Some accident victims discover that visiting a chiropractor helps with pain and recovery; nevertheless, it is best to talk about this together with your lawyer. Some insurance coverage carriers think about chiropractic care as various drugs, so your remedy won’t be coated. It could be in your greatest financial curiosity to substitute visits to an M.D. and physical therapist with chiropractic visits.
About Rear-End Collisions
The excessive frequency of rear-end crashes has prompted the Nationwide Highway Transportation Security Administration (NHTSA) to conduct analysis on driver attributes with regard to rear-end collisions. Their most recent research revealed the next developments:
- As drivers age they’re less more likely to strike the car in front of them in a rear-end crash; conversely, younger drivers, particularly those underneath 18, are most probably to trigger a rear-end collision.
- Young male drivers cause probably the most rear-end crashes.
- Distracted driving is chargeable for more than 85 % of rear-end crashes, with consuming while driving, daydreaming, and cellphone use as the most typical distractions.
- Most rear-end collisions happen when the front car is stopped in visitors.
- Most rear-end collisions happen on clear weather days.
Avoiding Rear-end Collisions
Rear-end collisions are totally avoidable within the overwhelming majority of conditions. Whether you are the lead car or following one other car, you’ll be able to keep away from a rear-end collision by following the following pointers:
- Maintain a minimum of a four-second area between you and the automotive you’re following, supplying you with sufficient time and distance to react if they need to all of a sudden cease.
- Keep away from all distractions while driving including cellphone use, personal grooming, adjusting the radio, reaching in the back, and so on.
- Make certain your brake lights and flip alerts work, and that you simply use them to let the drivers behind you already know your intentions.
- Scan your rear-view mirror to observe automobiles behind you, particularly earlier than you decelerate or make a turn.
- If somebody is following you too intently, pull to the aspect and let them cross.
- When it’s raining, improve your following distance due to wet roads.
- Ensure that your brakes are functioning nicely. If they fail, you danger an accident.
- Don’t slam in your brakes on the final minute—as an alternative, brake early and slowly.
Liability in Florida Rear-end Collisions
Florida’s no-fault auto insurance coverage regulation requires motorists who register a car here to carry private damage safety (PIP) insurance coverage protection because. Because of this after a rear-end crash, every driver should file a claim underneath his or her personal PIP coverage no matter fault. Take into account that Florida’s PIP protection only pays out 80 % of medical expenses and 60 % of misplaced wages to policyholders. In critical accidents that end in extreme damage, it’s possible that you will meet or exceed your coverage restrict and have to take legal motion with the assistance of a personal damage lawyer to recuperate further compensation from parties with legal liability to you.
Whenever you file an insurance claim beneath your PIP policy, you don’t need to fret about fault, however once you take authorized motion with an lawyer’s assist, fault will typically turn out to be a contested challenge Within the overwhelming majority of rear-end collision instances, the driving force of the rear car will bear the principal fault for the collision; nevertheless, this isn’t all the time the case. Anticipate the defense to make arguments to keep away from some or all liability for the accident and injuries, corresponding to by claiming that you simply have been driving underneath the affect, distracted while driving, or driving while fatigued.
In case you are partially at fault for the accident, Florida regulation nonetheless entitles you to hunt damages in civil courtroom. A courtroom may scale back your award based mostly on the extent to which you contributed to the accident, however you’ve got a right to hunt compensation so long as you’re less than 50 % at fault.
Contact Dolman Regulation Group After a Rear-end Collision in Florida
In case you have suffered a extreme neck or again damage after a rear-end collision and have exceeded the bounds of your PIP policy, Florida regulation entitles you to sue for damages. These damages might embrace current and future prices for medical remedy, lost wages, lost earning capability, and non-economic prices comparable to pain and suffering, loss of consortium with a partner, and others which may apply to your case.
When another driver’s careless decisions behind the wheel result in a rear-end collision and cause you harm, you deserve full and truthful compensation for the bodily, emotional, and monetary ache those decisions inflict. Letting an experienced lawyer guide you through the process of in search of compensation can free-up your mind and body to concentrate on therapeutic and restoration.
You don’t should battle for compensation and negotiate with insurance corporations alone. We are here to assist. The skilled automotive accident attorneys at Dolman Regulation Group Accident Damage Legal professionals, PA, and Sibley Dolman Accident Damage Legal professionals, LLP, can handle all details of the standard automotive accident case, together with investigating your accident, gathering related documents, negotiating a settlement, and litigating when settlement isn’t an choice.
Contact us at 833-552-7274 (833-55-CRASH) to schedule a free consultation and study concerning the methods we’d have the opportunity that will help you after a rear-end crash. We serve shoppers from our workplaces throughout both Florida coasts.
Dolman Regulation Group Accident Damage Legal professionals, PA
800 North Belcher Street
Clearwater, FL 33765
Florida Private Damage Attorneys